Position available: Walkerton BIA Manager
The Walkerton BIA is hiring a Manager to fill a 1-year full-time maternity leave beginning the week of Monday March 16th, 2020. Please note that this position could potentially lead to a permanent full-time position.
Scope of Work
The BIA Manager will operate under the direction of the Board of Directors. The role of the BIA Manager position is an exciting and challenging position that will be responsible for the day to day operations of the BIA in an ethical and professional manner. Amongst the duties assigned, the Manager will initiate, coordinate and direct our services and programs, supervise staff, plan BIA activities, provide outreach services to local BIA members, and manage a relationship with the Municipality.
Besides the duties involving the BIA, the Manager will also oversee the operation of the Brockton Visitor Information Centre. This centre is run in the BIA office through a contract with the Municipality of Brockton.
1) Member Services:
- Act as the face-to-face contact person of the Brockton BIA and when required, be the spokesperson.
- Promote and foster the business and commercial environment in Brockton.
- Develop a dynamic and inter-connected community amongst all BIA businesses and stakeholders (open, inclusive, connected and collaborative) through proactive, ongoing member services, advocacy and communications initiatives.
- Advocate on behalf of the Board of Directors and its members, by providing day-to-day stakeholder relations and services to Brockton businesses.
- Initiate, promote and facilitate regular business to business meetings and special member events as directed by the Board, including amongst others, Newsletters, Annual General Meeting, networking sessions, social and similar events relevant to the members in accordance with the direction and goals of the Board.
2) Board of Management:
- Prepare for review and approval by the BIA Board and sub-committees budgets and work plans to effectively implement the business of the BIA.
- Participate and contribute to external working groups & committees as directed by the Board.
- Provide regular updates to the Board of Directors on the ongoing BIA work plan, local events and upcoming deadlines, as well as bringing forward issues, recommendations and matters of importance to the business community to the board’s attention, for its input and/or approval.
- Supervise the administration of the BIA office including; budget planning, and development of BIA staff and volunteers, contractors, following sound financial management and accounting principles, bill payments, petty cash, and control of expenditures.
- Schedule monthly board meetings, collaborate and draft agenda with the President, and prepare special reports as required by the Board.
- Coordinate logistics of the Board meetings, prepare minutes for distribution, and follow-up on board decisions and key issues as appropriate.
- Provide support and input to Board sub-committees established to deal with specific BIA issues.
- The Municipality manages the bulk of the accounting of the Walkerton BIA however the Manager will do basic accounting administration and recording keeping
3) Marketing & Communications:
- Promote the BIA through member outreach, marketing, media and public relations events, and other special projects and initiatives.
- Coordinate and manage with the interactive website service provider, business listings and website content posted to support ongoing communications both internally to members and externally to the public, to promote the area to visitors, to recruit new businesses and to market Walkerton to attract and retain talented and skilled workers and entrepreneurs.
- Communications include updates to members’ online listings.
- Facebook and other social media channel updates, and regular newsletter distributions.
- Oversee design/creation of ads, flyers, and marketing collateral for all BIA initiatives including business directory & map, banners’ design, production and installation, and other such similar special projects.
- Work with the Board to develop new marketing initiatives, and implement and manage special marketing initiatives.
- Develop and manage special events and partnerships as directed by the Board to promote Walkerton, with the short-term goal of increasing customer visits, increasing local sales, and longer-term recruiting of new businesses, employees, investors, partners and entrepreneurs.
- Foster and maintain strong relations with media, provide timely response to media queries, write relevant articles & timely press releases to promote the Walkerton BIA.
- Attend and represent the Walkerton BIA at the annual OBIAA Conference
- Other duties as directed and assigned by the Board of Directors.
- Proven leadership abilities, excellent interpersonal and effective communications skills
- Experience working with and providing support to boards of directors
- Proven planning, organization and project management skills
- Proven ability to manage staff, service providers, strategic partners and volunteers
- Proven ability to interact positively with business and property owners, and facilitate meaningful consultation between stakeholder groups with different mandates and priorities
- A practical understanding of the needs of the local business community
- Effective group facilitation and networking skills
- Marketing and event management experience and competency in web-based communications strategies (blogs, FB, Twitter)
5) Brockton Visitor Information Centre duties
- Market Brockton as a visitor destination
- Oversee the creation and production of the annual Brockton Visitors Guide
- Create ads for various publications
- Work with tourism partners to ensure materials are available to the public at the centre
- Attend brochure swaps to exchange materials including the Visitors Guide with tourism partners
6) Work Conditions:
- Develops work plans and budgets, manages multiple tasks, resolves problems and meets deadlines.
- Must establish and maintain effective working relationships with business and government executives, BIA working committees and Walkerton BIA members, while at all times remaining fully accountable to the Board of Directors for actions taken in accordance with their terms of employment contract and professional code of conduct.
- Shall direct staff and coordinate contractors to execute and fulfill the requirements of the Scope of Work.
- Has capacity to maintain a flexible work schedule to meet the demands of the Walkerton BIA.
- Attendance at meetings and social functions outside of normal business hours is a requirement of this position.